A Kamado Grill is a clay/ceramic grill that was originally designed and manufactured in Japan. Kamado grills have been used for over 3000 years, which prove their durability and multi-purposefulness. Kamados are very versatile grills that allow you to utilize their smoking, grilling and roasting capabilities. This blog helps outline a few of the different ways that you can put your Kamado grill to good use:
Smoking food has never been as tasty or as satisfying. Your Kamado grill is designed to produce wonderfully moist and flavourful meat. The grill itself comes with an adjustable nozzle that restricts airflow, which is important to control the amount of smoke your meat encounters. Whether you're looking to smoke chicken wings, ribs, turkey or salmon, the Kamado grill is a great appliance for smoking your meats for hours on end.
The quintessential backyard cooking method, the Kamado grill does exactly as advertised: it grills food to perfection. The high heat and configurable vent systems allow for a fast and high burn for all foods. Whether you are making a steak or burgers, the charcoal-burner will add that rustic taste that you can't replicate.
Due to the ceramic covering of the Kamado, you can roast just about anything perfectly. The ceramic can withstand heats up to 750 F or 400 C and will stay that way for extended periods of time, allowing you to roast things like beef and chicken for delicious meals the whole family will like. The Kamado grill isn't just used to cook for delicious meats either, many homeowners with a Kamado love roasting vegetables. Eating raw vegetables, while healthy and nutritious, can often taste bland and boring. A Kamado grill will infuse fresh vegetables with an array of flavours by unleashing the organic sugar in the vegetables through extreme heat.
Much like a convection oven, when you bake with a Kamado Grill, you can control the airflow which creates a continuous current of heat that will bake your dessert to perfection. The ceramic walls that Kamado grills boast are so dense that they are essentially outdoor ovens. Due to the small amounts of charcoal that are burned within the grill, your desserts will possess an underlying smoky taste which will accentuate a layer of individuality for every dessert you prepare in your Kamado.
Calling all pizza lovers! If you’ve ever wanted to create and bake your pizza, a Kamado is just for you! The best thing about it? The Kamado grill heats up to over 1000 degrees Fahrenheit in less than 30 seconds, meaning you can enjoy an authentic tasting, perfectly crispy pizza in less time than it would take for a pizza delivery restaurant to drive one to you. Remember to purchase fresh ingredients for an optimal taste.
Bonus Tip - Cooking a Thanksgiving or Christmas Turkey in Your Grill
- Depending on how many people you are cooking for, purchase a turkey that provides everyone with 1lb of meat. For example, if you’re having 12 people over for dinner purchase at minimum, a 12lb turkey.
- Look for the gut bag, which consists of the turkey’s heart, gizzard, liver, etc. It can be consumed if you enjoy it, but many people prefer removing it before cooking
- Following the brining process, ensure your turkey is dry before placing it in the Kamado
- If you prefer crispy skin, increase the temperature significantly at the end of the cooking process
- Lightly glaze the roaster with a non-stick cooking spray before using your Kamado - this ensures you will have an easy cleanup
- For amazing flavour, season your turkey with Big Green Egg seasoning or simply use salt and pepper
- Set your turkey on the roaster, and add whatever liquids you’d like inside to keep it moist, whether it be beer, wine or even apple juice
- Remember burning charcoal and smoking chunks will infuse your turkey with a smoky flavour
- With the heat on low, it will take approximately 3 hours to completely cook your turkey. Stay attentive and pay attention to the temperature and timing
- Remember smoking your turkey on a Kamado grill will not dry it out and it will keep it thoroughly moist
Whether you're smoking, grilling, roasting or baking desserts, a Kamado grill is the perfect cooking appliance for your outdoor kitchen. At Kerrisdale Lumber we are proud to provide all our customers with options. Whether you’re in the market for a versatile grill like the Big Green Egg or a multi-purposeful grill like the Kamado Joe, Kerrisdale Lumber has what you need. Come visit us in-store for detailed recommendations and suggestions on your next ceramic grill.